Can You Get Married At City Hall In Alberta?

No, you can not get married at city hall in the cities of Alberta such as Edmonton, Calgary, and Red Deer. However, in some instances, you may be able to make arrangements for wedding photos.

How To Get Married In Alberta:

If you are not looking to be literally married at City Hall in Alberta cities, but looking to do a simple quick marriage on paper, it’s a bit more complicated than just signing some documents.

Everything you need to know about how to get married in Alberta can be found here.

To summarize:

  • All Alberta marriages begin with a marriage license, purchased from a registry agent.
  • Then you pick and hire, for a fee, a licensed and registered marriage commissioner. Two different kinds exist. Some for religious ceremonies, some for civil ceremonies. Both civil and religious marriages are treated equally from a legal perspective, it is a personal choice.
  • The wedding ceremony can take place anywhere where it is legal, but it must be in Alberta.
  • Both people getting married must state an official oath.
  • The officiant and two adult witness (over the age of 18) must be present in person. The married couple, the witnesses and the officiant all sign the document.

This is just a quick summary. Please visit the link above for specifics.

In Summary:

You can not literally get married at a city hall in Alberta. You may be approved to use the wonderfully landscaped property for wedding photographs.

If you want a quick marriage on paper without a fancy ceremony, you can do that, but it involves documents, money, and multiple other people.